Ludhiana, May 23
Planting time of paddy has come and it is an important crop of Punjab with an area of 3.10 million hectares, production of 19.14 million tons and an average yield of 61.67 quintals per hectare .
Manufacturers to organize machines
- Agriculture Director Narinder Singh Benipal said agricultural machinery manufacturers will arrange the necessary equipment for farmers to direct paddy seeding. He said the owners of two companies, Dhanjal Agriculture Industries in Gondwal on Suhdar Raikot Road and National Agro Industries in Samrala Chowk, Ludhiana, have agreed to provide the necessary machinery to farmers for direct seeding of paddy. He said these companies would not charge any rent or fees for providing machines to farmers.
In 2020-21 and 2021-22, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, there was a widespread problem of migrant labor for transplanting paddy. Consequently, a large number of farmers have opted for direct seeding of rice and as a result, the area under direct seeding has greatly increased. This year, the government is paying special attention to promoting direct seeding of rice among farmers, said Jasvir Singh Gill of the Department of Agronomy.
“During the Covid-19 period, most farmers used a slant plate seeder with spray attachment and no spray attachment followed by a PAU Lucky seeder. The first users of these machines encountered problems when using machines in the field,” said Sunil Kumar of Krishi Vigyan Kendra, Kheri.
Experts share tips
- The field to be sown must be leveled using a laser leveler. Direct seeding should be preferred under ‘Tar-Wattar’ field conditions.
- After field preparation, a lucky seeder should be preferred which also applies weedkiller at the same time as the sowing operation. If this machine is not available, an inclined planter should be used.
- The gears and bearings of the machine must be greased.
- The angled plates must fit properly inside the assembly.
- The gap between consecutive openers should be 20 cm.
- The machine should be lifted after hitching to the tractor’s 3-point hitch system, then lifted slightly to check the leveling of the machine from the side ends. If the machine is not level, it can be adjusted using the lower adjustable link.
- Similarly, the front and rear rows of openers should be leveled using the tractor’s top drawbar.
- The openers behind the two rear wheels of the tractor should be lowered 0.5 to 0.75 inches compared to other openers.
- Lucky seeder tank filters and nozzle filters should be cleaned daily.